Have dental anxiety? You’re not alone. Fortunately, one of the most proven methods for eliminating dental anxiety is IV sedation. Dr. Carimi and his team are experts in the use of IV sedation. If you’re not familiar with the process for IV sedation and how it puts patients at ease, read on.
How IV Sedation Works
Also known as “sleep dentistry,” IV sedation actually doesn’t put you to sleep. But it does help you relax, eliminates pain and results in stress-free procedure for both the patient and the dentist. Here are some facts about how it works:
- Sedatives are administered into your bloodstream through a vein. While that means there will be a very thin needle, you can request numbing cream.
- You’re awake and able to talk to the dentist, but you’ll be so calm that you likely won’t even remember the experience.
- While IV sedation eliminates your fears, you’ll still be numbed to ensure there is no pain during the procedure.
- The effect is almost immediate and the level of sedation is very easy to control based on your needs.
- IV sedation usually eliminates the gag reflex, making the experience even better for both parties involved.
- Since it involves anti-anxiety sedation drugs, you’ll need a ride home.
If you live near Charleston or Mount Pleasant and would like to learn more about IV sedation, schedule a consultation with us today!